logo bass mannie







Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional



Pipi back loaded double horn development

ariels pair


In the late 1980s early 1990s I built a few stage bass cabinets from the Eminence high power enclosure cookbook. One of these, the ‘W bin’ cabinet, lodged in my memory and I decided to try and adopt the style for a hifi cabinet some 20 years later.

The result of this endeavour is illustrated in the following set of photos.

The name Pipi came from the realisation that the shape of the cabinet in plan form strongly resembled a bat, and hence Pipi from Pipistrelle. It should be noted that the original ‘W bin’ was front loaded, but I decided to initially try a rear loaded enclosure, using the well loved Fostex FE167.

The first stage was to draw out the shape on some wallpaper(lining paper) as this could accommodate both height and depth. The basic outline was a double horn but instead of straight sides as in the ‘W bin’ it should have a curved shape.

not found not found


The drawing was refined and transferred to a sheet of 18mm Baltic birch ply, with a mirror image on another piece of ply. The dimensions of the drawing were super scientific and technical, i.e tailored to the size of a sheet of ply – 4’ high. This was done twice for a pair of speakers. Speaker builders should not be alarmed here. I had copious experience of reading the background technology of back loaded horns but this was an exercise in intuitive building, no science involved. not found

The only recourse to actual scientific theory was the volume of the coupling chamber for the Fostex 167 and the vent size for exit to the horn.

Construction

Looking at the plan for more than a couple of seconds gave realisation to the fact that bending the horn sides was going to be a challenge. It was elected from the start that the ply for the horn sides would be constructed from scratch using a lay-up method in presses.The presses were constructed from 18mm carcass ply, stacked in layers until the correct width was achieved. To ensure alignment as the press layers were added a dowel pin was inserted.

After some experimentation the material chosen for the horn sides was 10 layers consisting of alternate 2mm ply and 1.5mm carcass veneer.

not found not found not found not found


A number of shooting boxes were constructed to plane the ends of the curved ply to exact angles.



not found not found


After constructing the curved ply for the horn shapes and the coupling chamber, all pieces were test fitted into/onto the side panels which had been routed 6mm deep to reflect the horn shape.



not found not found


The baffle and bottom front panel were fitted to accommodate the mahogany trim that would run on the front of the side panels. The void left in the cabinet at the top and the bottom was filled with builders expanding foam, which had been found to be very effective in other builds.



not found not found


Finished with the usual mahogany trim



not found


The bottom line.



The overall result for this wreckless endeavour was truly rewarding. The presentation gave a razor sharp image, presumably because of the narrow baffle, but more than this, the bottom end was enhanced compared to other FE167 cabinets. It, the bottom end, was also found to be very controlled, and again, this may be a result of the constrained loading. It has been successfully demonstrated with many valve amplifiers, both SE and PP and seems well suited to the minimally damped mosfet amps I have used. Considering the original idea was based on intuition then this is an outstanding triumph. Having said that the driver chosen has been championed by many and it has been said that it's difficult to produce a bad cabinet for the FE167.